Colin Currie Group & Intermusica raise nearly £2,000 in Shelter's Vertical Rush 2018
On 15 March Colin Currie, his Colin Currie Group bandmates George Barton and Matt Farthing and Intermusica staff members Kate Caro and Florence Eves successfully climbed the 932 steps of London's Tower 42 as part of homeless charity Shelter’s Vertical Rush challenge.
The team’s fundraising efforts have resulted in a total of almost £2,000: 241% of their original target.
Their fundraising page will be open until the end of April if you would still like to donate to Shelter – click here to donate.
Intermusica leads eight major Asia tours in 2016
Intermusica will take eight world-class ensembles to Asia in 2016 in a year of ground-breaking firsts. Watch our video below to find out more.
Academy of Ancient Music
- Conducted by Richard Egarr
- First British orchestra to play in Prince Mahidol Hall, Bangkok
- Marking 275th anniversary of Vivaldi’s death
Budapest Festival Orchestra
- Conducted by Iván Fischer with soloist Ning Feng
- BFO’s debut in Xi’an, the ancient capital of China
- Chinese premiere of Dutilleux’s L’arbre des songes
Choir of King's College, Cambridge
- Choir’s debut in Nanjing and Tianjin and fourth Intermusica tour to China
- Opening Beijing NCPA’s International Chorus Festival
Colin Currie Group
- Group's Macau debut
- Celebrating Steve Reich’s 80th birthday year
- Debut of Steve Reich's music at Macu International Music Festival
- Conducted by Sir Mark Elder
- Hallé's debut in Wuhan and Shanghai
- First British orchestra to collaborate with Chinese choruses in the Chinese premiere of William Walton’s Henry V
- Conducted by Andrew Manze
- UNESCO World Cities of Music collaboration with Tongyeong
- Sir Andras Schiff’s debut concerto tour of China
Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
- Conducted by Osmo Vänskä with soloist Renaud Capuçon
- OSR's debut in India
The English Concert
- With soloists Tim Mead and Mary Bevan
- ‘Shakespeare in Love’: a concept designed by Intermusica in collaboration with The English Concert to celebrate Shakespeare 400
- The English Concert’s debut in Wuhan, Shanghai and Beijing
Colin Currie Group makes Helsinki Festival Debut
The Colin Currie Group makes its debut at the Helsinki Festival on 19 August 2015 with an all-Reich programme, featuring Colin Currie and Steve Reich performing Clapping Music and the group giving the Finnish premiere of Quartet.
The Helsinki Festival continues its tradition of showcasing prominent contemporary composers with this all-Reich programme that sees members of the group collaborating with Avanti! Chamber Orchestra to perform Steve Reich’s Radio Rewrite. The concert also features the group performing Sextet and Avanti! performing Pendulum Music, Reich’s 1968 composition for microphones and speakers.
The group has enjoyed a busy 2014/15 season, including a five-concert tour of The Netherlands, performances of Music for 18 Musicians at Saffron Hall and Glasgow’s Royal Concert Hall, performances of Drumming in Paris and Prague and the world and regional premieres of Steve Reich’s work composed for the group, Quartet.
Colin Currie gives US and Paris premieres of Steve Reich’s Quartet
Colin Currie gives the US premiere of Steve Reich's Quartet at Carnegie Hall as part of an all-Reich programme on 29 October, where Currie, Steve Reich and pianists Simon Crawford-Phillips and Philip Moore will be joined by American percussionist Dan Druckman. Currie and Druckman also join Julliard students in a performance of Reich’s seminal work Drumming. This is followed by the Paris premiere of Quartet on 8 November at Cité de la Musique by the Colin Currie Group in an all-Reich programme completed by Mallet Quartet and Drumming.
Quartet was co-commissioned by Southbank Centre, Carnegie Hall, the Julliard School, Cité de la Musique and Kölner Philharmonie / KölnMusik, and Reich has dedicated Quartet to Currie:
"The piece is dedicated to Colin Currie, a percussionist who has broken the mould by maintaining his solo career with orchestras and recitals and also, quite amazingly, by founding the Colin Currie Group which plays whatever ensemble music he believes in. I salute him and hope others will take note."
The Colin Currie Group gave the world premiere of Quartet on 12 October in a highly-praised concert that also saw Currie joined by Reich to perform Clapping Music and a performance of Sextet.